Monthly Archives:August 2019

A string of doping cases, headed by last month’s positive EPO test returned by Boston and Chicago marathon winner Rita Jeptoo, has raised questions about the level of testing in the country that has dominated distance running for decades.

南宁桑拿

An ideal physiology, training at altitude, running to school and a desperate motivation to escape poverty through athletics success are routinely trotted out as some of the reasons behind Kenya’s astonishing performances.

But now, particularly in the wake of Jeptoo’s positive test, people are looking with new eyes.

For Bedford, London Marathon’s head of international relations and a former 10,000 metres world record holder, it is a sad state of affairs but one with a brighter side.

He held a media conference call on Thursday to discuss the first race between world record holder Kimetto and Kipsang, the man whose mark he smashed last September and the reigning London marathon champion.

They head an April 26 field including eight men who have run under two hours five minutes — six of them Kenyan — yet Bedford was forced to discuss the way that doping has emerged in the country and in marathon running after previously largely being restricted to the track.

“We have been aware through rumour for a little while that there were problems in Kenya and I suppose the most shocking thing we’ve seen is the Rita Jeptoo situation,” Bedford said.

“As an event we’ve had quite an extended period of being relatively unaffected by this scourge in comparison to other events.

“But London Marathon and the Marathon Majors are at the centre of ensuring that there is adequate testing and that anyone who is found cheating will not be welcome back at any of our events.

“I believe that a lot of this is about a lack of education in Kenya, with athletes not fully understanding the implications, and in some ways I actually feel heartened that we are on the verge of an opportunity for increased testing with elite marathon runners and increased penalties for those who are caught.”

(Editing by Justin Palmer)

The Portuguese was furious with Taylor after he booked Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas for diving in the Dec.

南宁桑拿

28 match.

Mourinho said the referee’s failure to award a penalty was a scandal and that he should be ashamed.

He added that his team were being unfairly targeted in a campaign waged against them after Fabregas became the fifth Chelsea player to become involved in a row over diving in a matter of weeks.

The Spaniard, though, appeared to be tripped by Southampton defender Matt Targett in the penalty area.

“In other countries where I have worked, tomorrow in the sports papers it would be a front-page scandal because it is a scandal,” said Mourinho.

“It is not a small penalty, it is a penalty like Big Ben. In this country, and I am happy with that, more than happy with that, we will just say that it was a big mistake with a big influence on the result.

“I will go to the referee and wish him a good year and tell him he will be ashamed,” added Mourinho.

In a statement, the FA said his remarks constituted improper conduct in that they allege and/or imply bias on the part of a referee or referees and/or bring the game into disrepute.

Mourinho has until 1800 GMT on Jan. 13 to respond to the charge.

The FA will not take any action against him following the comments he made before the game against Stoke City on Dec. 19 but gave him a formal warning as managers and players are banned from making pre-match media comments about officials.

Before the game Mourinho said he hoped referee Neil Swarbrick “does his job”.

“I like these matches,” added the Chelsea manager. “It’s no problem with a good referee that can understand what is aggressivity or when aggressivity finishes and when the rules of the game start.

“I know it is difficult for every team to play this kind of match but again I’m not worried. The referee is there exactly to judge what is aggressivity. And aggressivity I always welcome, it makes the game much more beautiful and difficult.”

(Editing by Tony Jimenez)

Closed

Spanish second seed Feliciano Lopez crashed out of the ATP Chennai Open on Thursday in a stunning second-round loss to qualifier Aljaz Bedene of Slovenia.

南宁桑拿

The world No.14 looked rusty in his first match of the season as he tamely went down 6-4 6-4 to the 156th-ranked Bedene in an hour and 25 minutes at the Nungambakkam tennis stadium.

“He played a great match and he was a better player than me in this match,” Lopez said of his unfancied opponent.

“I know it is always tough to play the first match of the season because you are not confident, you need to adjust. But credit to him because he was very consistent.”

Lopez, 33, revealed he had been sick last week but refused to use that as an excuse.

“Nothing worked for me today,” he said. “My serve and volley was not working and I was also not moving well from the baseline. I need to work on my game. Hopefully I will be ready for the (Australian) Open.”

Bedene was excited after winning what he said was “the best match of my career.”

“I have never beaten such a high-ranked player before, so obviously this was very special,” the 25-year-old said.

“I was more solid on the baseline and I read his serves well. I was also feeling good with my serves.”

Bedene felt that coming through the qualifying round gave him an advantage against Lopez, who took to the court for the first time after being handed a bye into the second round.

“It always helps to be familiar with the conditions,” he said.

Two other Spaniards, third seed Roberto Bautista-Agut and No.5 Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, advanced to the quarter-finals.

The 15th-ranked Bautista-Agut proved too strong for No.102 Peter Gojowczyk of Germany, cruising to a 6-3 6-2 win in an hour and 10 minutes.

The 31-year-old Garcia-Lopez fought back after losing the first set to oust Tatsuma Ito of Japan 6-7 (1-7) 6-2 6-0 in two hours on an outside court.

“My game picked up as the match went on, so I am happy the way it went in the end,” said Garcia-Lopez, who finished 36th last year.

In Friday’s quarter-finals, Garcia-Lopez will take on Bedene.

Taiwanese veteran Yen Hsun-Lu rode past Pablo Carreno-Busta of Spain 6-4 6-4 in 73 minutes to set up a quarter-final against Bautista-Agut.

Closed

France, UK boost security after attack

August 30th, 2019 / / categories: 深圳桑拿网 /

France has extended the highest security alert level already in place in greater Paris to the northern Picardy region where police have zoned in on two suspects in the magazine massacre.

南宁桑拿

“The prime minister has decided to extend the attack alert level to Picardy,” Prime Minister Manuel Valls’ office said on Thursday afternoon

The security step-up came after two brothers sought for the attack against the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo were spotted in the region, resulting in a massive deployment of security forces.

Britain, meanwhile, has stepped up security at ports serving France following the attack in Paris, as the MI5 intelligence agency offered French counterparts its “full support”.

The terror threat level in Britain remains at “severe” and officials said the measures were a precautionary measure following the slaying of 12 people at Charlie Hebdo.

In rare public comments, MI5 Director General Andrew Parker said the attack was a “terrible reminder” of the threat facing Western nations.

He confirmed the national spy agency was offering its French colleagues their “full support as they respond”.

“It is too early for us to come to judgments about the precise details or origin of the attack but it is a terrible reminder of the intentions of those who wish us harm,” Parker said.

Home Secretary Theresa May, the interior minister, held a meeting of the COBRA crisis committee to consider Britain’s response to the attacks and its own preparedness for a similar assault.

She said the government had offered France “every assistance necessary”.

Searches have been stepped up on cars and trucks crossing the English Channel to British ports, while armed patrols have increased at the Eurostar terminal at London’s St Pancras station.

Closed

Boko Haram’s seizure of a key town and military base in Nigeria’s far northeast has tightened its grip on the region, undermining efforts to tackle the insurgency, experts say.

南宁桑拿

The capture of Baga and the headquarters of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) now means the Islamists control all three of Borno state’s borders with Niger, Chad and Cameroon.

Analysts said that as a result, the militants were in a better position to launch fresh attacks both within Nigeria, including against the key city of Maiduguri, and across borders.

“The capture of Baga is of enormous significance,” Abdullahi Bawa Wase, a Nigerian security analyst who tracks the Boko Haram conflict, told AFP.

“It has put a lie to the Nigerian government claim that it is on top of the situation. It is a serious symptom of defeat on the side of the government.”

Boko Haram has had Baga in its sights for months, as it was said to be one of the last towns in northern Borno under federal government control.

The militants have seized more than two dozen towns in northeast Nigeria in the last six months in their quest to establish a hardline Islamic state.

With Baga the latest to fall, Boko Haram has effectively encircled the Borno state capital, Maiduguri, where it was founded in 2002 and which has been repeatedly attacked.

Analysts assessed that the group’s control of border areas potentially secures it important supply lines for weapons as well as a wider recruitment base to replenish its ranks.

“Their next move is predictable, which is expanding their territory southwards,” said Wase.

Nigeria’s highest ranking military officer, Chief of Defence Staff Alex Badeh, told reporters on Tuesday that Baga can be recaptured, although he refused to give a time frame for any counter-offensive.

Asked whether the town can be retaken, he said only: “Why not?”

But getting it back could be a struggle, with Boko Haram likely to be boosted by a victory against a multi-national force.